| Breaking News | Original Reporting | News Analysis

Release of Chinese film on Korean War canceled amid controversy

A South Korean film distributor has dropped its arrangement to release a Chinese movie depicting the 1950-53 Korean War according to the points of view of the country in the midst of reaction from war veterans and political conservatives.

The Korea Media Rating Board said the organization, Wisdom Film, withdrew its application for an age rating for the film, “The Sacrifice,” on Wednesday. A film can’t be delivered without the agency’s classification.

Culture Minister Hwang Hee also confirmed the cancelation.

- Advertisement -

“It can’t be delivered on the grounds that (the importer) surrendered its substance rating,” Hwang said during a parliamentary committee session Wednesday.

The film portrays a fight among Chinese and South Korean soldiers in a northeastern town of South Korea in the final stage of the conflict in July 1953.

Directed by Guan Hu, Frant Gwo, and Lu Yang, the film was released in China last year to commemorate the 70th commemoration of China’s participation in the conflict.

- Advertisement -

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.