The United Arab Emirates has condemned a drone attack that sparked a fire near the country’s flagship nuclear power facility, describing the incident as a “dangerous escalation” amid rising instability across the Gulf region.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the UAE’s foreign ministry warned that the country “will not tolerate any threat to its security and sovereignty under any circumstances,” after a drone struck infrastructure near the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in western Abu Dhabi.
The UAE Ministry of Defense said one of three drones that entered the country from the western border direction hit “an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter” of the Barakah facility in the Al Dhafra region. Authorities confirmed that the impact caused a localized fire but did not compromise the safety of the nuclear reactors or trigger any radiation concerns.
Officials said investigations are continuing to determine the origin of the drones and identify those responsible for the attack.
The strike marks one of the most serious security incidents involving critical infrastructure in the UAE since regional hostilities intensified earlier this year following military confrontations involving Iran, the United States and Israel.
Authorities moved quickly to reassure the public after the incident.
The Abu Dhabi Media Office said no injuries were reported and there was “no impact on radiological safety levels.” It added that all precautionary measures had been implemented and emergency response teams successfully contained the fire.
“The Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation confirmed that the fire did not affect the safety of the power plant or the readiness of its essential systems, and that all units are operating as normal,” the statement said.
An official from Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO), the South Korean company involved in operating the Barakah facility, also confirmed there was no direct damage to the nuclear reactors themselves.
“It does not appear that there was a direct attack on the nuclear plant we manage and operate,” the official said, according to Yonhap news agency. “It seems a fire broke out at other power facilities on the outskirts.”
The KEPCO official added that operations at one reactor were briefly halted as a precautionary measure before normal procedures resumed.
The Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, located roughly 200 kilometers west of Abu Dhabi near the borders with Saudi Arabia and Qatar, began operations in 2020 and remains one of the UAE’s most strategically important energy assets.
Operated by the state-owned Emirates Nuclear Energy Company, the plant supplies up to one-quarter of the UAE’s electricity requirements, according to company figures released in 2024. It is also considered central to the Gulf state’s long-term plans to diversify energy production beyond oil and natural gas.
The incident immediately drew international concern because of its proximity to nuclear infrastructure.
Rafael Grossi, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, condemned the attack and warned against any military activity that could endanger nuclear facilities.
In a social media statement, the IAEA said Grossi expressed “grave concern about the incident” and reiterated that “military activity that threatens nuclear safety is unacceptable.”
Although officials stressed that the reactor systems were unaffected, analysts say the event highlights the growing vulnerability of strategic energy infrastructure in the Gulf to drone warfare and asymmetric attacks.
The UAE has heavily invested in advanced air defense systems over the past decade, particularly after previous drone and missile attacks targeting energy infrastructure in the region. However, the latest incident demonstrates the persistent challenge posed by low-cost unmanned aerial vehicles capable of penetrating airspace and striking sensitive facilities.
The UAE did not publicly identify the source of the drones, but attention has quickly turned toward Iran-backed armed groups operating across the Middle East.
Iran-aligned militias in Iraq possess sophisticated drone capabilities, while the Houthis in Yemen have repeatedly launched drones and missiles at Gulf targets in recent years.
The attack comes during a period of heightened regional instability following a dramatic escalation earlier this year.
On February 28, the United States and Israel carried out coordinated strikes against Iranian targets that killed several senior commanders, triggering retaliatory attacks by Tehran and its allies across the region. The confrontation rapidly expanded into one of the most dangerous regional crises in years.
Iran subsequently accused Gulf states aligned with Washington, including the UAE, of allowing US forces to use their territory for military operations. Emirati authorities strongly denied the allegations and insisted they were not directly involved in attacks against Iran.
Although Washington and Tehran agreed to a truce on April 8, diplomatic efforts to secure a broader peace arrangement have stalled. Sporadic attacks, cyber incidents and proxy confrontations have continued despite the ceasefire framework.
Security experts say the latest drone incident may further complicate efforts to stabilize the region.
“The symbolism of striking near a nuclear power plant is significant even if the facility itself was not damaged,” regional analysts said. “It sends a message that critical infrastructure remains exposed despite de-escalation efforts.”
The Barakah Nuclear Power Plant occupies a unique place in the Middle East’s energy landscape.
The UAE became the first Arab country to operate a civilian nuclear power station when Barakah entered service in 2020. The country was also only the second state in the region after Iran to establish a nuclear energy program.
Constructed in partnership with South Korea, the plant has been promoted by Emirati officials as a model for peaceful civilian nuclear development under international oversight.
Its four reactors are expected to provide a substantial share of the UAE’s electricity while helping reduce carbon emissions and domestic reliance on hydrocarbons.
Because of its strategic significance, the site has long been viewed as a potential target during periods of regional tension.
In previous years, the Houthis claimed responsibility for attacks targeting the UAE, including strikes against Abu Dhabi in 2022 that killed civilians and damaged fuel infrastructure. Emirati authorities responded by strengthening air defense cooperation with Western allies and accelerating investments in counter-drone technologies.
Despite those measures, Sunday’s incident underscored the evolving nature of regional security threats.
UAE authorities have not disclosed how the drones entered national airspace or whether they were intercepted before reaching the vicinity of the Barakah facility.
The Ministry of Defense said forensic and intelligence investigations are ongoing and promised updates once inquiries are complete.
Regional observers say determining responsibility could prove politically sensitive, particularly at a time when Gulf governments are attempting to balance security cooperation with the United States against cautious diplomatic engagement with Iran.
The UAE has in recent years pursued efforts to reduce tensions with Tehran while simultaneously maintaining close strategic ties with Washington. The balancing act has become increasingly difficult as regional conflicts intensify and proxy groups expand their operational reach.
For now, Emirati officials appear focused on projecting stability and preventing public alarm over the security of the country’s nuclear infrastructure.
Authorities emphasized repeatedly that reactor systems remained secure, radiation levels were normal and electricity generation continued uninterrupted.
Still, the incident is likely to renew debate over the risks posed by drone warfare in a region crowded with vital oil, gas and nuclear installations.