Pakistan
Minors Unsafe in Pakistan

The Interior Department of Pakistan Punjab has said that as cases of sexual abuse of children are on the rise, more boys than girls are becoming victims of such crimes. A report compiled on the number of such cases from January to June 15, 2023, showed that in less than six months, 1,390 cases of child abuse have been reported in the province, a record in itself, Geo News reported. Horrible number.

According to the report, about 69 per cent (959 cases) of the cases registered involved minor boys, while the remaining 31 per cent (431 cases) involved girls. Furthermore, the report noted that 55 per cent of those facing trial were neighbours of the victims, 13 per cent were relatives and 32 per cent were strangers, according to media reports.

Regarding the city-wise prevalence of child sexual abuse cases, the report said, Gujranwala reported the maximum number of rape cases in Punjab at 220. According to a Geo News report, Rawalpindi recorded the lowest number of rape cases at 69 and Lahore at 89. Apart from this, 199 cases have been reported from Dera Ghazi Khan, 186 from Faisalabad, 140 from Multan, 129 from Bahawalpur, 128 from Sheikhupura, 127 from Sahiwal and 103 from Sargodha in Pakistan. Afshan Tehseen, former chairperson of the National Child Rights Commission (NCRC), said that the prevalence of child abuse is directly due to poverty.

Minors UnsafeMinors Unsafe in PakistanPakistan

© 2024 ASIA MEDIA RESEARCH CENTER PVT. LTD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.